The objective of the ‘’Improving Adaptive Capacity and Risk Management of Rural Communities in Mongolia’’ project is to strengthen resource-dependent rural population and their climate resilience through feasible adaptation measures for maintaining ecosystem services. The project plans to achieve its goal by conjoining the main activities: a) enhanced climate-informed planning for land and water use localized to the aimag level, b) ecosystem-based adaptation measures to protect land and water resources c) building herder capacity to pursue climate-resilient livelihoods. The primary outputs are as followed:
· Integrate climate information into land and water use planning at the national and sub-national levels
· Scaling up climate-resilient water and soil management practices for enhanced small-scale herder resource management
· Build herder capacity to access markets for sustainably sourced, climate-resilient livestock products.
The project is funded by Green Climate Fund (GCF) and implemented by UNDP. The implementing partners of the project are the Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) and the Ministry of Food, Agriculture, and Light Industry (MOFALI). The project started in March 2021 and will run until the end of 2027. The target areas are focused on four aimags Zavkhan, Khovd, Dornod, and Sukhbaatar, which are vulnerable to climate change and cover a range of ecological zones. The project is expected to benefit an estimated 800,000 people (approximately 130,000 direct and 800,000 indirect beneficiaries), of whom 50% are women.
The MET is looking for successful candidates for the following position:
Position: Technical Specialist for Land and Water Management (GCFA-05)
Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Duration: 12 months (renewable, upon satisfactory performance)
Application deadline: Mar 16, 2023
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Scope of Work
· Implement land and water management-related activities of the project
o Lead the processes for land and water management activities of all project components and their implementation;
o Provide professional advice and guidance on land and water management and related legal analysis and advise to project implementing unit (PIU);
o Implement land and water management activities of the project;
o Integrate climate change policy planning into land and water management policies;
o Develop and implement land and water management plans incorporating ecosystem-based adaptation approaches in project target areas;
o Enhance cooperation among herders on sustainable use and stewardship of shared land and water resources;
o Introduce climate-resilient water and soil management practices;
o Establish and implement ecosystem-based measures to promote sustainable land and water management;
o Provide technical inputs for the development of Water Use and Management Plans;
o Integrated climate information system into land and water management planning at national and sub-national levels;
o Support the integration of land and water management activities into planning and public budgeting;
o Ensure the establishment of haymaking and pasture reserve areas and emergency fodder storage facilities;
o Provide extensive data analyze products to support policy and regulatory reform promoting sustainable land and water management and resilient herder livelihoods;
o Manage contracts and work assignments of external consultants recruited to support the land and water management activities of the project;
o Establish and manage partnerships regarding the land and water management field of the project;
o Develop Terms of Reference for external and specialized land and water management activities and prepare its procurement documents;
o Prepare reports and statistics related to land and water management of project activities;
o Organize training and capacity building on land and water management in full consultation of the relevant administration of targeted groups;
o Support PIU regarding land and water management issues of the project activities;
o Provide capacity-building support to partner agencies on compliance with UNDP and national rules and regulations, by undertaking activities on land and water management;
· Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in water management, land management, ecology, environmental sciences/natural resources management, environmental management, or relevant discipline
· A minimum of five (5) years of practical working experience in a subject related to water and land management or environmental sciences.
· At least 5 years of experience working with national or provincial institutions that are concerned with water and land use management;
· Previous experience with UN projects will be a definite asset;
· Significant experience in collating land use and water-related data, analyzing and writing up results for reporting purposes.
· Previous experience in implementing water and land management strategies and policies;
· Very good inter-personal skills;
· Excellent language skills in English and Mongolian, both writing, speaking, and reading.
ICT skills requirements:
· Proficiency in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
The following documents are required to be submitted by email or handed in a sealed envelope to the PIU office before the deadline.
· Personal CV, indicating all experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references.
· Citizen ID card, or passport
· Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment, and a methodology, if applicable, on how they will approach and complete the assignment.
· Notarized proof of academic qualifications
· Please note that incomplete applications would not be considered
· The submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants
· Post is advertised for Mongolian nationals only
· Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Address: Tod Tower #1002, Ankara Street 23, 4th khoroo, Chingeltei district Ulaanbaatar 15160, Mongolia Telephone: 976-7505-7507
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATION: 17:00, Thursday, March 16, 2023